I happened upon this treasure while cycling on tenth avenue. A little bigger than a locker, it contains a scissor jack hooked up to an electric motor.
I came across an interesting video revealing the bushings of a early 1900’s South Bend Lathe.
I’ve worked with bronze before when I machined a hot-end nozzle for a 3D printer (never became functional, but the hot-end worked).
We finishe the overall structure of the stair shelf last night. It still needs shelves, and wheels. We cross braced the every corner we could, and put reinforcements across all the short 2×4 pieces, and it is sturdy enough to use as stairs. If you stand at the top and start shaking your hips it’ll wobble, but that’s good enough for now. We’ll see how long it lasts and we’ll make repairs if need be. For now, we have a staircase.
I tried to take a video of the whole build, but forgot how much battery life it drains to take video on my phone. The phone shut off without saving any video, and I wasn’t able to take any shots of the finished structure with cross bracing.
Isaac and I are building a combination staircase and set of shelves. It will come to 7′ high and allow us to access the second floor of our mezzanine structure in the semi-private space. It will also be on wheels, allowing it to be used to access other high parts of the Lab
We are using entirely reused lumber, which we scrounged from pallets dumpsters and alleyways. Using found material makes it a creative exercise even more than just creating something. It forces us to work with the materials we have in hand, rather than devising a plan and simply implementing it. Found material also creates a very appealing asthetic, with visible signs of previous uses, weather and decay.
I will try to follow up with more photos as we continue and finish the build.
The Lab was very busy today, especially during drop in hours. It’s always nice to stop and chat while you’re busy getting shit done.
The aluminum foundry is propane fired using a venturi nozzle built from pipe fittings. The burn chamber is an old propane bottle that was thoroughly cleaned out before being cut open with a cutting wheel on an angle grinder.
Here’s an example of what I’ve done with it.
The mould is made from greensand (a mixture of fine silica sand, bentonite clay powder and water)