I spent some time repairing the metal chopping bandsaw. Cut a new temporary bracket with oxyacetylene.
Sharpening took a while. I tried using a file on each tooth at first, which worked for maybe six cuts before it dulled again. Then I took a dremel to each tooth to deepen the valley between teeth, before simply running a sharpening stone backwards over the flats of the teeth. That did the trick and I got a lot more cuts out of it.
There is still something wrong with how the blade is held, as it cuts everything at a funny angle. But it’s good enough for now.
We finishe the overall structure of the stair shelf last night. It still needs shelves, and wheels. We cross braced the every corner we could, and put reinforcements across all the short 2×4 pieces, and it is sturdy enough to use as stairs. If you stand at the top and start shaking your hips it’ll wobble, but that’s good enough for now. We’ll see how long it lasts and we’ll make repairs if need be. For now, we have a staircase.
I tried to take a video of the whole build, but forgot how much battery life it drains to take video on my phone. The phone shut off without saving any video, and I wasn’t able to take any shots of the finished structure with cross bracing.
Isaac and I are building a combination staircase and set of shelves. It will come to 7′ high and allow us to access the second floor of our mezzanine structure in the semi-private space. It will also be on wheels, allowing it to be used to access other high parts of the Lab
We are using entirely reused lumber, which we scrounged from pallets dumpsters and alleyways. Using found material makes it a creative exercise even more than just creating something. It forces us to work with the materials we have in hand, rather than devising a plan and simply implementing it. Found material also creates a very appealing asthetic, with visible signs of previous uses, weather and decay.
I will try to follow up with more photos as we continue and finish the build.
Here’s the base of it. Unfortunately I didn’t get a photo with the two stairs on it before we put it away.
Here’s some of the mess we made while working.
And these are some of our reference drawings on the big beautiful black board wall! Yay!
The Lab was very busy today, especially during drop in hours. It’s always nice to stop and chat while you’re busy getting shit done.
The aluminum foundry is propane fired using a venturi nozzle built from pipe fittings. The burn chamber is an old propane bottle that was thoroughly cleaned out before being cut open with a cutting wheel on an angle grinder.
Here’s an example of what I’ve done with it.
The mould is made from greensand (a mixture of fine silica sand, bentonite clay powder and water)